TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders are a family of problems related to your complex jaw joint. If you have had symptoms like pain or a "clicking" sound, you'll be glad to know that these problems are more easily diagnosed and treated than they were in the past. Since some types of TMJ problems can lead to more serious conditions, early detection and treatment are important. No one treatment can resolve TMJ disorders completely and treatment takes time to be effective. The professionals at our La Habra / Fullerton area Orange County dental office can help you have a healthier and more comfortable jaw.
TMJ disorders develop for many reasons. You might clench or grind your teeth, tightening your jaw muscles and stressing your TMJ joint. You may have a misaligned bite or be missing teeth. You could also have a damaged jaw joint due to injury or disease. Whatever the cause, the symptoms may include a misaligned bite, pain, clicking or grating noises when you open your mouth, or trouble opening your mouth wide.
- Are you aware of grinding or clenching your teeth?
- Do you wake up with sore, stiff muscles around your jaws?
- Do you have frequent headaches or neck aches?
- Does the pain get worse when you clench your teeth?
- Does stress make your clenching and pain worse?
- Does your jaw click, pop, grate, catch, or lock when you open your mouth?
- Is it difficult or painful to open your mouth, eat or yawn?
- Have you ever injured your neck, head or jaws?
- Have you had problems (such as arthritis) with other joints?
- Do you have teeth that no longer touch when you bite?
- Do your teeth meet differently from time to time?
- Is it hard to use your front teeth to bite or tear food?
- Are your teeth sensitive, loose, broken or worn?
There are various treatment options that Dr. Calvin T. Nam utilizes to improve the harmony and function of your jaw. Once an evaluation confirms a diagnosis of TMJ disorder, the team at our Orange County reconstructive dental office will determine the proper course of treatment.